How To Address A Letter Or Parcel To The USA
The United States is one of the UK's largest trading partners, with billions of pounds worth of goods being sent across the Atlantic every year. However, if your business is sending parcels, parcels and freight to the United States, it's important to note the differences in address formats which exist, so that your goods may arrive at their destinations without any problems or hold-ups..
US Residential Address Format
The address format for the US is quite similar to the UK's, albeit with a couple of slight differences.
UK Address Format
World Options Franchise Ltd
Clayton-le-Moors, Accrington, Lancashire,
USA ADDRESS FORMAT
World Options Inc
1 Glenlake Pkwy NE #700,
Atlanta, GA 30328,
- For the US, the name of the state - which comes in a two-letter abbreviation will need to be written, in addition to the city/town/village that the package is going to.
- After the name of the state, a five digit zip code will need to be added. A zip code is a the US equivalent of a postal code. On occasion, a zip code may come with an extra 4 numbers after the 5 digits (e.g: Albany, NY 12201-7050) the extra 4 digits are used to identify a specific area within the 5 digit delivery zone.
- The name of the city/town/village should be written on the same line as the state abbreviation and zip code (e.g: Chanhassen, MN, 55317)
UK and USA PO box formats are almost identical.
UK PO BOX ADDRESS FORMAT
Mr John Smith
Anon Group 2020 Ltd
PO Box 1111
USA PO BOX ADDRESS FORMAT
Mr J. Doe
International NY Inc
PO Box 0101
New York, NY, 10019
Before sending a parcel to a Postal Box in the USA ensure that:
- The recipient's name and or the company name are written on the first two lines. Underneath these two, print the PO Box number
- Below the PO Box number, the city, state and zip code needs to be written.
- Street addresses are usually not needed for PO Boxes. If one is needed to be added, make sure that the address is written above the PO Box number.
- If you are sending a parcel to a private mailbox, write PMB or # instead of PO BO (e.g: Mr J. Doe, International NY Inc, PMB 0101, New York, NY, 10019, USA)